Managing Editor Job Description:
Restless Books, a nonprofit, independent publisher of international literature based in Gowanus, Brooklyn, seeks a full-time Managing Editor to coordinate production, editorial, financial, human resources, and administrative processes for the company. We seek a team player who is dynamic, resourceful, entrepreneurial, detail-driven, skilled at multitasking and organization, and passionate about literature. The Managing Editor will work closely with the staff in the Brooklyn office and publisher Ilan Stavans, and will coordinate with outside printers, distribution channels, legal and financial advisors, and freelancers. Candidates should have at least two years’ experience in book publishing, and will have the opportunity to be a key player in a dynamic and growing publishing house as we face the opportunities and challenges of championing international literature in a rapidly changing world.
Editorial and Production:
- Manage the editorial process and production calendar
- Oversee galley and eGalley design and production
- Oversee finished book production
- Manage stock and reprints
- Participate in manuscript submissions reading and editorial board decisions
- Act as the lead editor on 1-3 titles a year
- Manage budgets, company finances, and taxes
- Manage contracts, royalties, and payments to vendors and freelancers
- Create weekly and monthly sales reports
- Send monthly financial statements to partners
- Prepare materials for quarterly partners’ meetings, including financial statements, P&Ls, sales reports, publication calendar, staff reports, and agenda
- Manage employee payroll and benefits
- Manage staff access to systems and company subscriptions
Admin / Legal:
- Liaise with company attorney(s) regarding legal issues
- Book company travel
- Monitor general company email account and respond to queries
- Maintain close communication with Restless publisher Ilan Stavans and staff regarding all the above.
Send a resume, two references, and a cover letter detailing your interest in the Restless Books Managing Editor position to Editor and Marketing Director Nathan Rostron: nathan[at]restlessbooks[dot]com.